How to Import Timesheets in CosmoLex
If your firm has of-counsel or timekeepers who do not have access to CosmoLex and you wish to import their time entries, you can consider using our WIPs-Time Import functions.
Ensure that the corresponding Client-Matter records already exist in CosmoLex prior to importing data.
Excel template to fill-in the Time entries is located HERE
Filling-in the Excel file
Go to the Time tab to fill-in your data.
Column name headers and Sheet name should Not be changed for the import to work successfully.
Carefully fill-in the Matter Identifier values for each row. You can choose to use the Matter ID# assigned by CosmoLex or the Matter File # which is user assigned. Whichever ID type you choose must apply to all imported items, as that is how the import will match with data already in CosmoLex.
All fields except Card Date, Tax and Description ones are Required to be filled-in. If Card Date value is left blank, current date will be used for the import.
Billing Type value should be one of these: Billable, Unbillable and NoCharge
You have the choice to enter time values either as Hour-and-Minute (e.g. 1 in Hours & 30 in Minutes) -OR- as Total Billing Hours in decimals (e.g. 1.50).
For any additional information such as max allowed characters, refer to the “1. Data Entry Instructions” sheet in the file.
In the top menu, click the ‘+’ icon and go to Other > Import Data. This should open the first screen for Import.
Select the first option and click “Continue”.
Click “Choose File” to locate the file and then click “Upload”. Keep the “File has headers” checkbox as ticked.
Select from the import options (explained below)
Let's briefly explain the options here:
Note that all options are explained when hovering over the blue (?) tooltip
1. Import Data Match Settings
- We chose 'Application Data' since the clients/matters are already in the system. If for some reason this is your first ever import and you are importing time at the same time as clients/matters, you want to choose 'Staging Data' which will look for matches on the date being imported, only.
2. Contact Matching Criterion
- This is the criteria in which you want the system to match your CosmoLex contacts with the time entries. If you have entered the contact name in the sheet exactly as entered into CosmoLex (original name, not display name) then you can use the contact field. If not, use the contact import identifier which was the import ID used when importing your contacts
- whichever option you choose, ensure that number is what was entered as the 'client code' on your time import sheet
3. Matter Match Criterion
- This is the criteria in which you want the system to match your CosmoLex matters with the time entries.
- Matter import identifier - this is the import ID used when importing your matters (may have come from your prior system)
- Matter Index Number - this is the index number auto assigned by CosmoLex and is listed in the Index# field within the application
- Matter File # - this is the file number you have assigned to matters within CosmoLex. This is not a required field, so you only want to use it if you know matter file numbers have been assigned.
- Whichever option you choose, ensure that number is what was entered as the 'matter code' on your time import sheet
Once set the way you would like, save this window.
Verify the following:
- At least 5-10 records to confirm that Client-Matter are correctly matched.
- The total counts shown in the lower left area match with the spreadsheet data counts.
- Confirm that the import has 0 warnings at the top area. If there are warnings, click the 'Auto Fix button at the top left to fix by applying default settings
- Confirm that the import has 0 errors listed in the top area. For any errors found you will need to fix the import file and re-import. To understand what errors exist, you can click on the red warning triangle to the left of the items for a description.
- To remove data from this staging area, click “Remove All” and “Close”; make changes to the spreadsheet and upload the file again.
- If everything looks fine, click “Complete Import” and wait for the success message to appear.
Frequently Occurring Errors and Resolution
Referenced client matter does not exist
This indicates that the Matter Identifier entered is invalid and not matching with an existing client-matter in CosmoLex.
Timekeeper name does not match
If the spreadsheet has a timekeeper value that’s not in CosmoLex; go to Setup > Timekeeper to create a new timekeeper.
Invalid values for Time
Identify and update spreadsheet records that have non-numeric or invalid values for Time.