There are times when a client would like to have their operating retainer funds transferred to their trust account.
To do this, you would first need to do a credit memo of the operating retainer from the client's matter.
- Go to main matter page > double-click the matter
- Matter Details > Banking Tab > Under Transactions section, Click Action > Credit Memo
- In the credit memo window, put in the following information:
Date: Put in the date of the transaction
Amount: This is based on the available credit for the operating retainer. You can choose to put in the full amount or do a partial amount.
Type: Choose Wire/ACH-Out
Pay To: Put in Firm Name
Bank: Choose your Operating or Business Account
Memo: Put in a memo of what is being done with the transaction. Ex: Transfer to Kevin Jackson Trust Acct
When done, click Save. You will see a zero balance in the operating retainer.
Next, you would need to deposit the operating retainer funds into the client's trust account.
- Go to main matter page > highlight the matter > click on the trust transaction button on the bottom right. You can also do a trust transaction from Matter Details > Transaction > Trust Transactions
- In the trust transaction window, put in the following information:
Date: Put in the date of the transaction(needs to be the same date as the credit memo transaction)
Amount: Put in the amount that was credited from the operating retainer
Type: Choose Wire/ACH-In
Payor: Put in Firm Name
Memo: Put in a memo of what is being done with the transaction.
When done, Click Save. You will now see the operating retainer funds in the trust account.
You have now successfully transferred the operating retainer into a client's trust account.