CosmoLex allows the forwarding of your emails into the system for easy reference and tagging to individual matters.
You can also bill for time spent on email review/creation directly within the CosmoLex inbox.
- To use the Email feature, you must be a CosmoLex User and your Email Address must match with your user account. You can verify this within the Account Management section's user tab and can change it if needed. This ensures that only registered users with matching Email Address are able to forward emails to your firm’s CosmoLex account.
- Ensure that “Email Forwarding” is switched ON under Setup > Firm Settings > Firm Preferences. Only a CosmoLex admin account at your firm can view the “Setup” section.
If your firm has more than one registered user, note that by default, any non-admin users will only have access to their own incoming emails (or those matter linked)The CosmoLex Administrator at your firm will be able to view ALL emails.
- To restrict/allow a user to view various user emails, the Admin will need to go to the Account Management tab, edit that user, click on Settings (Roles and Restrictions) and scroll down to "restrict email visibility". Here you can choose which email accounts this user can/cannot view
- To limit/allow access to the email section in regards to View, Add/Edit and Delete functions, you will need to edit the role of this person (Account Management > Roles > Edit > Email)
- Confirm email forwarding is On If it is not, and you are the admin user, go to Setup > Firm Settings > Firm Preferences. Scroll to the bottom to locate Email Forwarding, and click the “OFF” button to the right, to toggle it to ON.
- Identify your Forwarding Address within CosmoLex As shown in the image below, Firm Preferences will display the mailbox address to be used for forwarding. This mailbox is unique to your firm and all of your registered CosmoLex users should use the same forwarding mailbox address.
- To Manually forward select emails
If you intend to forward only some of your emails, use the email address from the step above as Bcc or to forward any of your existing emails.
- To Forward ALL Incoming and Outgoing Emails
Follow the instructions in the links below as listed for your Email tool. Once set, ensure to do complete testing for both incoming and outgoing emails.
- Outlook Users
- Gmail Users
- Yahoo Users
- Apple Mail Users
- Other - Within your email server, locate settings to forward incoming and outgoing mail. You then want to set up a forwarding rule directing to your CosmoLex email address (provided within your setup area)
When you first set up your email (in firm preferences) There are two options regarding Auto Tagging. The selection of these are what govern the matter auto tagging
- Automatically tag emails to matter when clients primary email address match to/from address
- Automatically tag emails to matter when clients other party email addresses match to/from Address
You will inevitably end up with "untagged" items which did not have a matching email, and therefore were not automatically tagged to a matter. To locate the untagged items, you will first see an icon at the top right of your screen, with a count of total untagged items.
- You can then click on this icon, which will take you directly to your inbox You can also go to Activities > Email
- Once there, on the left, you have a filter for Untagged items. click on this filter to see all the emails on the right which are NOT tagged to a matter.
- To tag one of these items to a matter, check the select box, then choose More > Tag Emails
- You can then select the matter you would like to link to this email and click Save.
NOTE: This email will then display within this matter's details
- Back in the Activities section, You will also have a filter called Multi-Match. They are marked with a 'M' label.These are untagged emails which matched with multiple matters and therefore have not been tagged. To view the matches associated with those emails, click on the 'M' label, and all possible matches will be listed for you to select from.
- If you tagged an email to the wrong matter, it can easily be untagged or changed to the correct matter. To do so, under Activities, select the email and go to More > Change Matter and select the correct matter. If you want to untag from email completely, select "Untag email" [NOTE: Emails cannot be untagged from a matter, if time was already recorded and/or billed]
If you are using the "Forward All Emails", You may want to block certain emails from coming into CosmoLex. Perhaps personal notes, or internal communications. Within CosmoLex, you can set up exclusion rules so those emails do not end up in your inbox for tagging.
To set up an exclusion rule, Go to Activities > Emails and click the "Rules" Icon
To Add a new rule, click Add.
You can type in the text box, and then select the restrict rule for this - Equals To, Contains, Starts With Perhaps you want to block any emails from J Smith Law, you can enter the following:
You can delete emails that are within CosmoLex as well. Keep in mind, these are copies from your Email Tool, so all original emails will remain there. But perhaps, there is a non-client related email which is not needed in CosmoLex. You can select the email and click DELETE. This email will then end up in the Trash folder. NOTE that the trash folder will be emptied every 30 days, automatically.
In addition, to bring in your emails, CosmoLex will also manage your attachments. However, any attachment over 10mb will not be brought into CosmoLex.
BILLING FOR YOUR TIME
You can also bill time directly from an email. For steps on this process, see HERE.